Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Doorbell Rang

The doorbell rang and then, of course, the dog bell rang, which at our house means a little bit of barking, a storm of tail wagging, and quite a bit of excited jostling towards the front door.  We weren't expecting company and for a moment thought that our new next door neighbors needed to borrow an egg or an allen wrench or something else that they hadn't unpacked yet.

I looked out the window and saw a woman I recognized (but couldn't recall the context), a very tall and sturdy man, who was definitely not my new next door neighbor, and a pair of handsome children, who I knew NOT AT ALL.  I opened the door, and the woman turned out to be Lynn Davis who I knew through my Board position at Hospice Brazos Valley.  She asked nicely if they could come in--Nathan had something for me.


Nathan delivered a large and overflowing bag of beads that his birthday guests at his 7th birthday party had collected to donate to Erin's Dream lanyards.  I hear he is looking forward to the next lanyard workshop so he can add his labor and his creative touch to the already huge and selfless gift he has given.  

Nathan, thank you for your vision, thank your guests for their generosity, and thank your parents for setting you down a path that will truly make a difference.

Nathan's face captures the joy I feel every time I think of Erin's Dream Lanyards and all of the wonderful people who make what we do possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment